Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas means




I found myself thinking this morning that there are a few times each year when things matter a little more than usual. Christmas is always one of those times. I find that I cannot read my scriptures without choking up. Reading to my children and getting words and phrases out in broken sobs makes them pay a little bit closer attention. I like that they notice. I don't like that I look like a mental case.
At the end of each year it's nice to look back. This year it feels like I'm on the last leg of a race with that finish line in sight. My legs are cramping up and I'm out of breath, and wondering if it wouldn't have been better to wait in the car, but here I am almost there.
It's been a wonderful, horrible year.

Some years are like that.

For now, I'll focus on the positive and say that the highlight of this year was our new addition. She is wonderful. Already pulling herself up on things and walking while holding on to one or both of our hands. She is 8 months old (soon to be 9 months).

I am so thankful for a Savior who I know loves me just as much as anyone ever could. It's strange for me to think that anyone could extend the mercies that He does just when we need them. I know that prayers are always answered, and a lot of times, I know they are answered through other people. I am thankful for the wisdom He gives each and every leader of our church and anyone who desires it. (sometimes I fall short in this department). During Christmas, let us all remember that Christ is the reason we are all here. He is the reason we try to be better than our best selves. He is the reason we look out for each other, and the reason we are all one family put here to help each other reach our full potential. As we go about our day I pray that we might all see the person our Heavenly Father intended us to be. Remember that we are all loved by Him and that we all have a right to be treated as royalty. We are members of the highest kingdom there is.

2 comments:

Elise and Dan said...

Thanks for your wonderful words!

PML said...

I need to be more like you...right now I'm fuming over the 5 salesman who have come to our door this week...and the mean checker who wouldn't price-match my oranges. Perhaps I should read this over a few times to calm down. Thanks for sharing.