Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Back to real life

Here we are, after Christmas. Back to work, house cleaning, finding new places for things, recovering from illnesses, etc...,. We were lucky enough to visit family in California for Christmas. Shem was absolutely set on making the trip out, and so I washed every piece of loose clothing in the house, wrapped gifts and cleaned and filled up the car to get ready to go. It is about a 16 hour trip. We made it out in 15 hours and back in 21. The trip out was a little happier out as we had planned a little better and didn't have a terribly cramped car and Shem was even able to occupy himself all the way through Arizona (a long time) with a sign that kept appearing on the side of the road advertising, "Shush Yaz". I think it was some sort of Indian market, but all the way Shem would say things like, "If you don't like it, SHUSH YAZ" and laugh uncontrollably every time. I would cringe every time I saw the sign, and I'm not quite sure why it was advertised so much!!
Christmas was a blast and due to new Internet policies, I am unable to share much of what went on. JK
Lots of highlights and a very few low lights, but an overall success.
We have discovered this year the wonder of;
1. Webkinz, ok, now I know I'm arriving late to this party, but what the heck, my kids LOVE these gifts from aunt Meg and haven't stopped playing with them since they got them.
2. New sheets that rival the clouds of heaven I am sure.
3. Dehydrated hash browns from Costco that Shem won't stop making for our breakfast burritos. They are good.
Again, I have to share my sheer confusion with some of the trends I witnessed.
I guess the new thing in California is to wear teeny tiny shorts (think Farah Faucet) with Uggs and a scarf. If you're really cool you can top that with a Russian hat of fur??!! Ok, maybe it's just me but all the while I'm labeled with a huge ??
I had also forgotten the way you can never understand a single person in the drive through of a fast food place and not for the reasons you would think. Static over the speaker, no. Everyone speaks a mix of what can only be described as Japanese Russian. I ask for chicken for the kids and I hear, "fjsoeif jsoie einvels lien tenders?" I look in horror at the speaker in front of me and remember why I hated going to fast food while I lived there. I try to stifle a laugh and then she says it again and I can barely choke out a yes and hope it works. I tell ya what.
Ok, now for the really good parts.
We spent the nights playing trivial pursuit which is my idea of a great time (nerd). I loved it. I have a CRAZY gift card to Barnes & Noble thanks to Dave and my kids and husband have all of their favorites too.
Time to think resolutions which means I must revisit mine from last year to update how I did. Uh oh.

No comments: