Monday, September 8, 2008

Monday Bliss

Is there anything better in the world besides getting a treat in the mail. No, I tell you there isn't. It doesn't matter whether it's a letter or a box, but for me it sparks a "whoop" like nothing else. You would think I've won the lottery...which is what my poor mail lady thought this morning.
She just happened by right after I had showered (yeah, just a little late), with a package in her hands. I hadn't been expecting anything, so imagine how excited this girl was. Better than Christmas morning I tell ya!
My sweet Great Great Aunt Melba sent me a book that is just wonderful (from the time I was little, my oldest memory of her is of her telling me,"of all of your Aunts, I'm the greatest."). I can't even remember if she knows my love of books and reading, or if it's just that she knows me enough, but what a treat, it is even embellished with recipes that look yummy. It's called Hometown America, and it has had me curled up in a ball and enthralled on my living room floor all afternoon. Almost like a little reminder to me to remember where I'm from and whats truly important. I am from the tiniest little town that everyone really did know all your business, and all the neighbor kids played together all summer long. It didn't matter whether it was on the nearby bike trail or dragging sticks through the rainwater filled gutter after a typical summer downpour catching toads, I had it good. My brother was my all time best friend, and this book has me reminiscing all morning. What better to do on an overcast cozy day. Thanks Grand Melba, I love it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you, there is nothing better then getting presents in the mail!

Elise and Dan said...

I love good books, and I love getting packages in the mail even more! What a sweet great Aunt!

BTW- about the sun spiders. We've had two of them in our house. The first time I saw it I thought it was a baby scorpion! They are creepy things!