Everyone has asked,
"Kasi, how was your birthday?"
"Fine." I say. I try to sound happy and pretend it went well.
"Did you do anything fun?"
"Oh yes, well we just spent time together because Shem had a hard day."
Whatever!!
The truth...here it is. Shem left for work without even remembering to say Happy Birthday. He came home late, let me fix dinner, and we all went to bed. I didn't even get to pout about it properly because Landon knew it was my birthday and was waiting for a celebration that never happened, and so he was all teary-eyed by nights end because he felt bad for me. That's what happened. (for the record, Shem felt so awful too and so that also prevented the full blown pout I was so obviously entitled to)
Well, yesterday Kristin(a friend from up the road) and I talked and talked about Birthday traditions and what we like to request for birthday dinners and desserts, and I was able to howl to her about the sheer injustice of it all. Everyone should at least get a cake on their birthday, right?! I understand that my expectations are so high every year that no one could live up to them, but a cake?? No cake?? Sure, I may not get to be kidnapped from my bed to be taken to a meadow to have freshly imported snow falling on me while kittens lick my toes until I awaken. No humminbirds fixing my hair and deer bringing me flowers, okay, I GUESS I get that, but a cake! We agreed there needs to be some sort of learning curve here!
Today she calls and then has to go suddenly because her doorbell is ringing. We hang up and then there is a knock at my door. Who is it?! Kristin! Holding a perfect little cake in her hands! It's even decorated and double layer and all. What happened next shocked us both I..... I burst into tears. WOW, didn't know those emotions could run so high without being pregnant.
Needless to say, I don't know how I end up with the most amazing friends anyone could ask for, but I've got em, and I'm happy they stick around and put up with me and even do the little things that seem so big right when you need em (Mama, Toni P, Tabea...etc, etc.)
On an upbeat note, now I get to drag out the guilt as far as it will go. (I got a back and foot rub last night) After all, I have to make sure that doesn't happen again!

Another thing it is important to note: Lots of other people remembered with phone calls, yummy cookies and even flowers, but your own husband...ouch!
5 comments:
I am so sorry! What a bummer birthday! I bet you will never forget that, huh? Good thing for Girlfriends! Guys are just on other planets sometimes. I'm not very subtle in reminding Dan about my birthday! You gotta do whatcha gotta do for those men, sometimes! Happy Birthday anyway!
Oh Kasi, in order to not set yourself up for these instances, you have to remind your husband BEFORE. Like a week before. Like if you anniversary is also the second day of your husband's new job, just try to remind him the night before so then he can say, "yeah, I remember dear." And then you can tell yourself he rememebered...It works for me anyway. :)
Yeah, he actally remembered every day this month until the ACTUAL day. Ah well.
My reply was a little harsh. Happy Birthday Kasi!!!
I just asked the magic 8 ball if you missed me and it said yes. I'm glad we are still friends.
Post a Comment